Monday, November 8, 2010

Vegan MoFo: Thanksgiving Comes Early


Since we are going to be in NYC for Thanksgiving, last night we had a little Thanksgiving-at-home meal with my Dad and sister Tracy. (My Mom was busy, selling houses.)

I have no idea what was going on with the Tofurky! Have you ever bought and prepared a Tofurky Roast? I have - at least 6 or 7 times, and it always turned out the same - as a whole, round roast. As soon as I slit the package, the dough came oozing out. I decided to put it in its own casserole dish, rather than in the vegetables, because I'd never seen it do that before. I guess I picked a good dish; it just filled that baby out. (The spices are what emerged from the marinade, which includes such ingredients as orange juice, organic Tamari, olive oil, and maple syrup - loosely based on the recipe that's on the Tofurky box.) After my initial shock and concern about my Tofurky issues, all was well because the taste was not affected.

Butternut Squash with Millet Stuffing

I mixed the millet with chopped apples, blueberries, walnuts, cinnamon, and a little orange juice/maple syrup dressing.

Cauliflower and Mushroom Pot Pie with Black Olive (Kalamata) Crust

Tracy made this dish from Veganomicon. I've said this before: I love that she always picks the recipes I wouldn't necessarily consider myself. I always lean toward the lasagnas, enchiladas, salads, etc., and everything she makes is hearty, flavorful, delicious. This was a really unique dish; I thought it turned out great.


Green Beans with Shiitake Mushrooms and Slivered Almonds

I cooked a bag of frozen haricots verts in a skillet with a tablespoon of sesame oil, 2 tablespoons of organic Tamari, and minced garlic to taste. I also added chopped shiitakes and slivered almonds.

Cranberry Beans

If you've never made cranberry beans, this is what they look like dry - so pretty!

Roasted Vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips)

I used the same marinade I used for the Tofurky: o.j., maple syrup, organic Tamari, a tiny bit of olive oil, and spices.

The 3rd and 4th pumpkin pies I've made in the span of 8 days - the current addiction of the vegan and so forth family. This piece is a little squished. I didn't have any more Rice Whip from Vegan Essentials, so we used what Whole Foods had - the boxed Soyatoo that you whip yourself. I always find it amazing to watch it take form.

So...I was pretty disappointed that the Tofurky box no longer contains the potato*apple*cranberry dumplings that were always sooo good. In its place was an Amy's mini-chocolate cake. (I added the frosting myself.) Although it doesn't seem exactly Thanksgiving-ish, we do enjoy Amy's cakes. They're perfect for any last-minute, celebratory situations.

a little cuddle time with Aunt Tracy before bed



I'd like to have this shirt.

17 comments:

  1. I must say, I have never had Tofurkey - I have never had ANY interest in real turkey, so even fake turkey turns me off, heh. But a pot pie with a kalamata olive-dotted crust? Wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading your blog for the past month (Found you through Dirty Duck blog) I'm not vegan, but do enjoy eating healthy and I love all of your food posts. Great ideas! You've got me wanting to try tofurky- I'm not fond of turkey as it is. And I just discovered we have a whole foods around our way so I can't wait to visit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I totally get what you're saying about the Tofurky...I do like the taste of them, though. I feel so removed from meat, that I almost forget it's supposed to be a turkey substitute. I definitely think there are healthier things to eat on a regular basis, but I also like that they can help people make the transition to a veg diet (like with my husband who became a vegetarian after we got married).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I agree with you on being so far removed from meat that the Tofurkey is just good for what it is. I haven't gotten that far with cheese, yet, though!

    Looks like a good Thanksgiving! The past several years I've had my own (veg) T-day not on the real holiday, but this year I'm doing the real thing with my folks. I hope it turns out as good as yours did. That's an awesome shirt, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done the Tofurky thing either...but it all looks so good, I have my eye on that pot pie and the squash especially.

    I love that shirt...I am sooo going to order one! It'll be perfect TG day wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a feast! My family is having an early Thanksgiving without me. It's the one holiday I really don't want to do with meat-eaters. We will likely do a vegan potluck instead and probably a couple's thanksgiving too. Since it is MoFo and all.

    Now I am getting curious about a gluten-free Tofurkey. I've never tried the stuff but I do make tofu cutlets that are good and kinda remind me of meat in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never cooked a tofurky so I can't comment on that, but the rest of the meal is stunning. Everything looks so good I'm tempted to just copy your plan for our Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! That food looks amazing. Tofurky isn't on sale round these parts but I so want to try one. And that tshirt is THE BEST! I'm buying that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an awesome job. I hope you won't have to be cooking so much again on actual Thanksgiving!
    That mini cake looks like a pretty alright substitute for dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks sooooo good! I'm in the midst of planning my vegan thanksgiving and its so exciting to see what amazing stuff everyone else is making too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, everything looks soooo good. Yum. Can I come to your house next Thanksgiving please????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Far too many delicious-looking foods to comment on them all. But that cauliflower and mushroom potpie is in Veganomicon? (Goes to dust it off...) I'll be trying that soon. Doesn't matter that we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've NEVER had Tofurkey but I'm going to try it this Thanksgiving...or else try to make my own! Everything looks delicious. Love that shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had a Tofurky roast either. Your entire meal looks great BTW.

    Your daughter has the most adorable smile and the best cheeks.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome looking spread. I've never had Tofurky, but it sure does look good!! That's the kind of Thanksgiving dinner I want! I'll have to wing my own though. Everyone around me are BIG meat eaters....ugh

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your daughter is so precious. I will check out that Veganomicon pot pie recipe. (I do Field Roast instead of Tofurky).

    ReplyDelete
  17. i was devastated about the dumplings! They were amazing... the best part of the thing! Cake without frosting... thats weak turtle island... really really weak. Ill just get the turkey and roast.

    ReplyDelete