Monday, October 3, 2011

What a Hungry, Pregnant, Vegan Momma Ate


A Day of Food
I was running late this particular morning, trying to get everyone ready and where they needed to be. I grabbed a little bunch of organic grapes to take with me in the car.

About 45 minutes later, I enjoyed my Chia Pudding that had been chilling in the fridge. I always just pour some chia seeds into a cup and let it sit for an hour or less in almond milk. (It's also good to stir occasionally and adjust milk amount accordingly.) Then I chop up some strawberries (or peaches or whatever berries I have on hand). I looooove this. It's one of my treats I always talk about while I'm eating. (As in, "This is sooo good.")

A late morning/early lunch snack? I really like these Sprouted Bagels (I think this one was Cinnamon Raisin.) from French Meadow Bakery. On top of the 1/2 I ate: Sun Butter, 100% fruit spread, and hemp seeds.

Lunch: A wrap using Food for Life Gluten Free Tortillas (my wrap of choice!), kale, lettuce, kidney beans, hemp seeds, tomatoes, avocado, garlic stuffed green olives, Cashew Cheese Sauce (SO GOOD) from Matthew Kenney's Everyday Raw, and Miso Dressing (based on his Ginger-Miso Dressing, just without the ginger).

Supper: Enchiladas and a salad with kale, other lettuce & greens, carrots, beans, tomatoes, avocado, and salsa. One of my favorite enchilada recipes: Cheesy Bean Enchiladas. But I make my own enchilada sauce and add frozen organic corn kernels and greens or grated zucchini.

We tried to make Blessed Mama's Strawberry Tall Cakes by cutting out the center and stacking it, but our lovely Arkansas humidity was making the frosting melt and everything slide and fall. Delicious regardless. I used the Sexy, Low-Fat Cupcakes recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. If I am making cupcakes just for my family, it's pretty much the recipe I always go to because they really are so much lighter, using applesauce and yogurt (and 3 TBS of oil). We only had blueberry yogurt; it's always fun to use flavored yogurt when making this recipe. These cupcakes have a bit of a different texture than typical cupcakes - but one that I prefer.

*************************************

And that's it. I'm really impressed with everyone's posts I've read so far and appreciate everyone's comments. As I type this, my husband is upstairs putting together my new elliptical trainer. The nurse (and the doctor also made a comment) got on to me for gaining 8 pounds this month. It is a little frightening, I admit. I always gain a lot during pregnancy, though - probably a combination of nature and nurture. I'm getting serious, though! Elliptical, here I come.

22 comments:

  1. Wow what beautiful meals, the wrap especially! It looks so fresh and colorful! The bagel looks so good too, and the chia pudding! Definitely a great day of meals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eating a lot of chia pudding lately. I used blueberries yesterday, which was a nice change from strawberries. Kids will not eat it. W says it doesn't even look like food, which I think is hilarious.
    Don't worry about gaining weight. You are a beautiful pregnant lady. With Tornado, I felt like instead of a basketball, you had a black tire inner tube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your enchilada sauce looks nomulent--recipe?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. speaking of your husband, he is HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!! I am a pregnant vegan, too (first child) This all looks very healthy and yummy to me! I gained 11 lbs one month so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not preggers, but MAN does that bagel look insanely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so just adding chia seeds to soy/almond milk will turn it into pudding?? i need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lot of healthy food you've got there. Don't listen too much to the nurse and Dr. about weight gain. Some months you gain a lot, some less. You know it'll all come off when you start feeding the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! No wonder your kids are so fab; they come out of the womb loving wonderfully delicious and heathy food. That wrap looks and sounds like a taste bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, thank you for saying so.

    Cary, wait until you see me...just wait...And I can't remember if kid #2 likes the chia pudding or not. But the other two do. Sis loves it. What the heck does a black inner tube tire mean? In what direction?

    Stacy, nomulent indeed. Recipe...uh...maybe I'll work on it...I just throw a bunch of stuff in a saucepan...organic tomato paste (I like the one in the jar.), chili powder, water, cornstarch, garlic, onion powder...maybe that's it? Sometimes add salsa or flour maybe?

    Anonymous, and very handy.

    Julia, congratulations! Thanks for commiserating with me! :)

    January, thank you!

    Kerry, yes, it will! Try it, and see what you think. There are a lot of chia pudding recipes out there, but this is so quick and easy. You just kind of have to play around with it to see how much milk/seeds to use. I'll try to measure next time to give a better idea. The milk gives it plenty of flavor, especially if you are using vanilla or whatever. But I usually use original 60 calorie almond milk, and it's good, too, since the berries help flavor it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea, thank you for your support! It may not ALL come off :0 but here's hoping!

    Rose, I have a thing for wraps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That wrap looks delicious! I could eat it right now. Lol! Even though I've just had dinner. Wish you much joy in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That wraps looks fantastic. Maybe you need to just open up a vegan restaurant for us ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so intrigued by the chia pudding as well! I've never had it and that seems so easy that I must try it! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First of all, congrats on the preggers part :) Secondly, you are inspiring to finally buck up and try chia seed pudding. I always think it sounds so good so I don't know what my problem is and why I haven't made it yet. I have a good idea, can I have some of yours :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome foods! Everything looks so good!
    Chia pudding is one thing that I have not made yet. I have got to do that soon.
    I love my elliptical! It so easy on the joints! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Niru, thank you!

    Heather, that would be my dream!

    Sheridan, look forward to hearing if you like it.

    Cara, I'm really into things that are EASY. And chia pudding is easy and healthy.

    Michelle, I thought maybe the elliptical would be easier on my body right now. And thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible food pics, especially the Pudding, Sunbutter & Jelly Bagel, the Cupcake and the Wrap. The Grapes and Enchiladas were pretty but if we have to pick favorites...

    A lot of Hemp Seeds being strewn about your kitchen lately. Are they better than Flax Seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  19. The wrap and bagel sound so good. Love the little hemp sprinkling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. SV, yeah, I think so. Healthwise and definitely taste-wise. More easily digested. Great protein. Etc.

    Maud, thank ye.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Omigoodness. Those enchiladas are calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious and healthy food. Thanks for share these exquisite dishes 'cause they are perfect to update my menu.

    ReplyDelete