Thursday, January 13, 2011

Food Face Plates: How Fun Are These?

The kids received these Food Face plates from us for Christmas and have had lots of fun eating on them.

My 10 year old originally saw these in the catalog and included them in his "Dear Santa" letter. They are from Hearthsong and sell for $9.98 apiece. They are made from a very thick, seemingly durable (well, you know, unless dropped on the floor, of course) high-fire ceramic and are dishwasher and microwave safe.

Aaaangry bell pepper strips and spiky carrot hair. Clearly this isn't enough food for my 10 year old. He likes to make a face, eat it, then make another face, etc.

And here is one my 5 year old designed.

The plates come in a sturdy box with several ideas for inspiration.

And here are a few of my plate creations:
organic baby corn, sunflower seeds, avocado, tomatoes, and baked sweet potato rounds

This plate belonged to my 10 year old, and his little sister also got the same. (My 5 year old won't eat tomatoes, avocado, or sweet potato, though.)

broccoli, mashed potaotes, and Field Roast

black beans, Kabocha squash, and Amy's Daiya macaroni & cheese

My 10 year old also has bell pepper chunks (and you can't see his squash I buried under the macaroni because I was running out of places to put it), and my 5 year old has an apple smile. At top, I tried mashing the squash into my 5 year old's macaroni so he couldn't tell...well, he could tell obviously and was not pleased. He ate it, though...something like dessert must have been on the line.

We love our Food Face plates! (I'm not being paid to say that.) And, hey, no judgment here if you get one of these plates even though you don't have kids! :)

22 comments:

  1. OK, those plates are a riot, but I'm just wondering how much time it adds on to meals. :D I'm thinking of getting one for someone turning three next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely DOES add time to meal preparation, which is why we don't use them everyday. I guess it depends on the food how much time it takes. Since we eat a lot of just plain food (cut up apples, strawberries, plain garbanzoes, etc.), it's not too bad. I think most kids are so easily pleased and amused that even when I barely go to any trouble slapping the food on these plates, they still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, how cute is that! I can't wait until my granddaughter can use plates! Are these plastic or glass?
    Viv~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, these are hilarious. What fun! I like the guy with the corn cob hair and the avocado smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are super cute! Btw, did the box come yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHAHAHAHH those are so cool! i rememebr those, you could put "hari" on them that was really magnet shards? this is really cool! i love the ones with pasta around the mouth, but they all look really good!

    i love that he put them on his Christmas list:) very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw those plates and I was tempted to get one. But I might forget to eat and just play. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really cute. I actually like a lot of stuff Hearthsong sells.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are so cute! i'm tempted to get one for jackson. he already plays with his food, so why not :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I would love to get some of those for my niece and nephew! I am so glad you shared these. Hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No green foodstuff coming out of the nose or ears?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look like fun - I had a cup with some sort of animal figure in it, it was supposed to be fun to drink your milk and uncover the beast. Yuck. This is way better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to get kids to eat all their food. We make face sandwiches directly on the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are really cute! I've been looking for a gift for a friend's daughter. She has a lot of allergies, so she is more of a simple food eater too, and this would be great for her! Nice suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL at Shen! The plates are way to cute! I'm almost tempted to buy one for myself. :o) Those would make great gifts for kids though. I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenny,
    These plates are great! I would love using these at school with my 3-5 year olds! Seems like so many people are trying to tell kids not to play with their food...but maybe that's what they need to get interested in eating healthy food? Kudos to you for getting these for your kids and for serving such healthy, delicious food for them to "play with"! Very cool! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are made of ceramic (high-fire ceramic, it says, and I looked this up - it says that's what ceramic should be for food safety, otherwise there's an issue with lead??).

    Yes, dd, they do remind me of the magnetic shard face things!

    Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

    foodfeud, I love hearthsong, too; I always order things for the kids from there. I always see things I want for myself, too.

    SV, to tell you the truth, I actually did put some orange squash on the ear once as "ear wax" because I figured my 10 year old would think it was cool and gross. But he didn't like it and made me move it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are great! I came across some images of these awhile back and thought about hosting a food program at the library using paper plates with hand-drawn faces and a wide variety of food options for features.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a Food Face!! Join Us!
    foodfacer.blogspot.com/
    foodfacer.tumblr.com/
    Submit your Food Faces or email to foodfacer@gmail.com and see your GREAT Food Faces on our blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like it was an interesting and funny party 'cos they could understand why we are vegans... it's all about knowledge and good food, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny way to adorn those plates with food, actually I always make it while I'm eating that's something gets my mother totally angry.

    ReplyDelete