Friday, October 28, 2011

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal


Two posts in one day! I needed to catch up to make my 20 Vegan Month of Food posts by Monday. And I thought someone might need a fun, EASY fall idea for the weekend, using ingredients you may already have around. After October is over, I'm going to be spending plenty of time blogging about all of the great ideas I got from everyone this month. This is one of them.

BAKED PUMPKIN OATMEAL from Vegan Planet!

I used steel-cut oats, chocolate chips for the facial features, and dates for the stem. I also used a spring-form pan, which worked perfectly. It took quite awhile to bake it. (I lost track because I set the timer over so many times. 45 minutes maybe?)

It cut into slices really well, too. My family ate the whole thing for supper tonight, and they could have eaten more. I'm definitely a fan of baked oatmeal now. And my husband thought it tasted so similar to pumpkin pie. I'm using a couple of Vegan Planet's other holiday ideas this weekend, too!

12 comments:

  1. That looks way too good to be oatmeal. Are you sure it's oatmeal? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I want to eat this in my mouth right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so great! Awesome, awesome, job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I am going to have to try this since I can't get enough of oatmeal lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to try this, and I am weirdo who prefers savory oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute, and it sounds like it was a hit! I will absolutely be trying this out soon. I like my oats with a big cup of black coffee, so I will make it a weekend dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS did you add a sweetener of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made baked oatmeal, but when I see it I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cool concept! Never heard of baking oatmeal in this way. it makes a nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so creative! And I cannot believe that this is oatmeal...so clever! *tipping my hat off to you*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea, it's oatmeal! I had never made baked oatmeal because we eat oatmeal so well, it seemed like baking it was an unnecessary step. But I'm glad I made it and will again.

    Sarah, funny. :)

    Maud, thank you!

    Pam, yup, it was worth trying!

    Stacy, I promised I was going to try the savory oatmeal, and I still haven't. Soon, soon. And yes, according to Vegan Planet's instructions, I did use a little brown sugar, which we usually don't use in oatmeal - we usually use agave. It wasn't overly sweet, just right. I could have left out the sugar and drizzled the agave onto the cut pieces.

    Ingrid, hope it works out well for you.

    Heather, I always thought it seemed like extra work for nothing, but my family enjoyed it as another entity.

    Sarah, thank you! I loved Vegan Planet's idea.

    Cara, all the credit goes to Vegan Planet! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems like Dessert more than Dinner. It's always a party at your house!

    ReplyDelete